I planted some lettuce seeds in this newly made swc this morning. Hopefully it will turn out well.
Here are some basic steps on making one.
1. Find a container to use and cut it apart a little more than halfway down. The bottom part is the water reservoir.
2. Punch or slit some small holes around the bottom part of the soil container. You can put felt in the bottom of where the lid was to wick up the water. In this case it was a weird shaped container so I cut it off and put it back in the top part because the top of the bottle was so long. If I would have used felt maybe so much soil wouldn’t have gotten into the water reservoir, but it doesn’t really matter.
3. Water the container from on top the first time.
4. Place seeds on top of soil and then a bit more soil to cover the seeds. Water a little more.
5. It should be a long time before it needs more water, but when it does, lift the soil reservoir and just put some water into the reservoir.
6. Cover it and place in safe place and wait for it to sprout.
Concerning my weight loss, I found out I should only eat slightly more than 1300 calories per day. So far I’ve had a Granny Smith Apple, 4 small pieces sourdough bread with sunflower butter, agave syrup and raisin, all which come to at least 470 calories. Will need to consume a bunch of celery and raw veggies today. Yay
Here’s my 2nd one today then must make soup.
1st picture – cut container, made slits in soil container, put felt in opening
2nd picture – placed soil container in reservoir
3rd picture – watered from the top
4th picture – put in some lettuce seeds and covered with a bit of soil
5th picture – placed on top of ‘fridg with other one I made today
update 3.24.13 – have some sprouts: