This is the 3rd day I’ve been housebound – not a bad thing – except I have a sniffly snuffly cold.
Yesterday I finished watching a movie about the Pony Express – a bang bang shoot ’em up movie – but I learned a little about the Pony Express. I also finished reading “O Rugged Land of Gold” – the true story or journal of a pregnant woman who spent the winter alone in a cabin after being injured. Her husband was stranded in another area. It was quite a captivating book. The baby turned out okay in the book, but I read on an amazon review that the baby actually died but the publishers made her change the story to a happy ending. It was almost too good to be true, but so interesting the way she made do with what she had and invented ways to set her broken arm and devised a crutch, etc. etc. etc.
Today I worked on making a couple jean backpacks. The homeless are always asking for them, and these may be better than nothing. Instructions are on a link in the previous post.
Now it’s time to fix something for supper – found this recipe at allrecipes.com for
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 cup dry lentils
* 1 cup dry bulgur wheat
* 3 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
* 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils and bulgur wheat. Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.